This wall-mounted pallet wine rack is a perfect example of how pallet crafts can be an excellent way to repurpose wood and make a wide variety of fascinating items. It is strong enough to have many mounting points, can hold several bottles at once, and even has space underneath for you to store your glasses. Furthermore, it is easy enough for even the most novice of DIYers to have a go at. You do not need to use any fancy techniques or hire lots of expensive tools – in fact, you will probably find that you have almost everything you need lying about in your shed or garage anyway.
For the project, you will need a few things, the most important of which is the wood from the pallets (and remember, if you reuse pallets, you should only use ones that are secure, in good condition, and made of untreated wood! You will need plenty of sandpaper, a drill, a hammer, and nails.
How do you make a wooden wine rack out of pallets?
- Make a cut in the indentation of the pallet where the prongs of the forklift go using either a circular saw or a hand saw. Depending on where you cut it, the wine rack will have a height of approximately 16 to 17 inches when it is finished.
- You will need two boards for the bottom of the wine rack, and you can collect these boards from the middle of the pallet. To remove the boards, you will need a hammer, a pry bar, or whatever else you can use to get in between the boards and then pry it off.
- To separate the board that is used to hold the glasses and support the bottom, you will need three smaller components. You can obtain these by chopping up the larger section of the pallet where the boards are nailed in to get to the boards themselves. The dimensions of the pieces need to be a little bigger than the length of the board. You can use a hand saw to do this.
- Use 120 grit sandpaper to ger rid of the rough edges and then 220 grit to give it a really smooth finish.
- You will then need to make holes for your wine glasses on one of the boards. Of course, this depends on the size of your glasses but let’s assume you are using a standard 40-inch wide pallet and standard-sized wine glasses. Mark 4.5 inches in from the edge and then mark three more holes of that size four inches from the next and so on. In terms of depth, aim for between 1.5 and 1.75 inches into the wood. Drill out these holes.
- Use a piece of wood with a width of about an inch, centre it on the hole, and create a mark to indicate where the cuts need to be made. Cut the pieces out using whatever saw you have available, and then sand down any rough edges to hold the glasses.
- Assemble the boards, being sure to align them with the rack’s base before doing so. This will ensure that everything fits together correctly. We advise using screws that are 3 inches long, but if you like, you may use screws that are shorter and put it together in parts instead. Make sure that all of your holes have been pre-drilled in either direction to prevent splitting the wood.
How do you hang a pallet wine rack on the wall?
We would suggest making a hole in the wine rack and then using a long screw to secure it to either a 2×4 or the wall. Alternatively, you may use wall anchors and then screw them into place. You need to make sure that this is sturdy enough to support the weight of the wine and the glasses.
How do you make a homemade pallet bar?
If this has whetted your appetite for pallet crafts, you might want to give making a homemade pallet bar a go. Whether you have it in your home, garden, or in a summer house, it is a great way to recycle and reuse pallets and make something that looks fun and unique. Just like the pallet wine rack, it is a relatively simple project that does not involve lots of complicated techniques or tools. We really like this homemade pallet bar tutorial and think the finished item looks fantastic. Why not give it a go this summer?