Warehouse based businesses must ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that racking equipment and the way it is used and operated is safe for workers and others. Guidance notes prepared by Worksafe Victoria provide a concise summary of the obligations for businesses utilising racking systems.
Racking needs to be set up, operated and maintained in accordance with AS 4084:2012 – Steel storage racking. Importantly, racking should be maintained to meet the specific weight, shape and size of the products being stored.
Racking should also be compatible with the pallets and the material handling equipment used in the workplace. Australian standards specify the need for auditing pallet racking on an annual basis.
We are great believers that prevention is better than cure and having PRQ develop a maintenance program for your warehouse is preferable than the cost of rack failure. Additionally, as we are not aligned to a specific manufacturer we are able to provide complete independence in auditing all brands of pallet racking.
PRQ’s audit process will cover:
- Confirmation of the correct installation of all manufacturers shelving or racking (many sites use multiple brands)
- Appropriate use of equipment (eg: forklifts) in relation to shelving and racking
- Overloading in relation to manufacturers limits
- Damage, dislodgement, loss or distress of racking components
- Presence of SWL signs and adherence to all manufacturers specifications
PRQ audit will provide:
- A Damage Assessment report including recommendations on damage reductions
- Confidence that your racking and shelving meets Australian standards AS4084-2012
- Independent qualification of your Pallet Racking Inspection register to ensure your Workplace Health and Safety program is up to date
PRQ’s audit team is happy to manage this process in a simple and no-fuss manner. Call us now on 07 3841 2233 to discuss your safety audit requirements. Alternatively, complete the enquiry form below:
[contact-form-7 id="297" title="Company Enquiry Form"]